Friday, January 28, 2011

Today in history, 25 years ago

I didn't remember it, until I read it just now. Today marks 25 years since the Challenger explosion.
I was 12. I remember standing at the TV. The countdown. 10. 9. 8. ....etc. And then the launch. The shuttle up in the air. Then a big cloud of smoke. I remember being so confused. I don't think it hit me what had just happened. My mind could not compute that. Never had anyone seen such a thing.
I remember that this mission was to be extra exciting because they had a teacher on board. That was a really cool idea of having her go up. And all the preparations she had to do to get to that place.
But the vision of the big cloud of smoke forever stays in my brain. It's like I see myself...still standing at the T.V. Staring at the big cloud and thinking, "what just happened?"
It's a short sound byte memory. But it is one that will never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment